This is a very tasty and filling soup. The bacon gives this rich soup a very nice smokey flavor and the nutmeg adds an interesting touch.
Weight Watchers Southwestern Sweet Potato Soup recipe
2 sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
2 slices bacon, diced
1 large leek, trimmed, washed and minced
1 medium onion, chopped
2-4 garlic cloves, chopped
2 1/2 cups chicken stock
1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
2-4 pickled jalapeno peppers, minced
1/2 cup sour cream
1/4 cup half-and-half
salt, to taste
1. Cook the diced bacon until crisp in a heavy skillet, then remove it from the skillet and reserve for other uses.
2. Add the chopped onion, garlic and leek to the same skillet that still has the bacon drippings; cook over low heat, stirring occasionally, for about 10-15 minutes (until the vegetables are soft).
3. Add the sweet potatoes and stir for about 5 minutes.
4. Stir in the chicken stock, nutmeg and thyme, and bring to a boil.
5. Partially cover and simmer over low heat for about 20-30 minutes (until the sweet potatoes are tender).
6. Transfer the vegetables, potatoes and most of the broth to a blender, reserving some of the broth in a separate container.
7. Puree the potato mixture until smooth, return the puree to the soup pot, add cream and thin with the remaining broth to the desired consistency.
8. Season to taste with salt. When serving, reheat the soup stirring often and garnish with pickled jalapenos and sour cream.
Nutritional information for one serving:
WW points: 6
Total fat: 14.9 g
Cholesterol: 30 mg
Sodium: 555 mg
Total carbs: 27.4 g
Dietary fiber: 3.1 g
Protein: 8.3 g
Photo credit: thebittenword.com
You might also like these soup recipes:
- Weight Watchers Crock Pot Cream of Sweet Potato Soup recipe – 2 points
- Weight Watchers Mushroom Vegetable Soup recipe – 2 points
- Weight Watchers Greek Lentil Soup recipe – 4 points
- Weight Watchers Creamy Vegetable Chowder recipe – 4 points
- Weight Watchers Tortellini Tomato Spinach Soup recipe – 6 points
Tags: 6 points, calories, cooking, diet, dish, points, recipe, smokey, soup, soup recipes, southwestern, sweet potato soup, Weight Watchers, weight watchers potato soup recipe, weightwatchers, ww