After experimenting a little with an old scone recipe, this is what came up – a healthier, low-fat (but still delicious) treat. These oatmeal scones are great served warm, split in half and spread with butter or jam, together with a hot cup of tea.
Weight Watchers Oatmeal Scones recipe
3/4 cup old fashioned oats
1 1/4 cups wheat flour
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup dried fruit (cranberries, currants, raisins, etc.) (optional)
2/3 cup buttermilk
1/4 cup light butter or 1/4 cup margarine
1 tablespoon half-and-half (optional)
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 tablespoon buttermilk (for brushing)
extra sugar (optional)
1. Preheat the oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Mix together the dry ingredients (oats, flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, salt).
3. Cut in the butter and combine using a fork until the mixture resembles bread crumbs.
4. Add the dried fruit to the dry mixture if desired.
5. In a separate bowl, mix together the wet ingredients (half-and-half, buttermilk, vanilla).
6. Gradually add the wet mixture to the flour mixture and combine until a soft and sticky dough is formed.
7. Move the dough to a lightly floured surface and knead 2-3 times. Do not overwork the dough.
8. Roll the dough into a 6-8-inch circle and cut into 8 pie-shaped slices (or you can experiment with other dough shapes such as circles to maximize the number of servings).
8. Bake in the oven for about 15-18 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean and the scones are golden-brown.
9. For a golden color and extra crunch, brush the top of the scones with buttermilk. Sprinkle some sugar on top and broil for a few minutes, turning and adjusting as necessary.
Nutritional information for one serving:
Oatmeal scones WW points: 3
Total fat: 5.1 g
Cholesterol: 8.5 mg
Sodium: 214.3 mg
Total carbs: 23.1 g
Dietary fiber: 2.7 g
Protein: 4.4 g
Photo credit: betsyweber
You might also like these Weight Watchers bread recipes:
- Weight Watchers English Muffins recipe – 4 points
- Weight Watchers Sweet Milk Donuts recipe – 2 points
- Weight Watchers Brioche recipe – 4 points
- Weight Watchers Orange Biscuit recipe – 5 points
- Weight Watchers Buttermilk Biscuit recipe – 3 points
Tags: 3 points, baked, baking, between 100 and 200 calories, bread, bread recipes, breakfast, breakfast recipes, calories, cook, cooking, delicious, diet, flavor, food, healthy, healthy scones recipe, nutrition, oatmeal scones recipe, recipe, snack, snack recipes, vegetarian, weight watcher oatmeal scones, Weight Watchers, weight watchers scones recipe, weightwatchers, ww points