Weight Watchers Golden Squash recipe
Makes 6 servings
3 lbs (about 1-2) acorn or butternut squash
1 onion, finely chopped
2 tablespoons butter or olive oil
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg, fresh grated
2 tablespoons lemon zest
salt and pepper, to taste
1 tablespoon brown sugar (optional)
fresh mint, rosemary or flat leaf parsley (optional)
1. Preheat the oven to 375° F.
2. Prick the squash with the tip of a knife and place it in a pan in the oven.
3. Bake the squash for about 50-60 minutes, or until tender when pierced – depending on size (you could also microwave it for about 20 minutes).
4. Remove the squash from the oven and let it cool a little, then cut it in half. Scoop out the seeds and fibers and discard.
5. Scoop out the flesh and blend it until smooth (adding a but of orange juice or water or orange juice to help puree).
6. Warm the butter or olive oil in a pan over low heat.
7. Add the onion and saute for about 15 minutes (until very soft and sweet), add the brown sugar if using.
8. Add the pureed squash, lemon zest, nutmeg, ginger and cinnamon, and season with salt and pepper to taste.
9. Cook over very low heat for about 5-10 minutes (until dry), stirring often.
10. Transfer to a warmed serving dish and sprinkle with parsley, mint or rosemary (optional).
WW POINTS per serving: 2
Nutritional information per serving: 126 calories, 4.9g fat, 4g fiber
Photo credit: Nimz
You might also like these side dish recipes:
(Visited 179 times, 1 visits today)