Gougeres are traditional French savory choux pastries made with cheese. In English they are sometimes called cheese puffs. They are traditionally made with Gruyere cheese, but other types of cheese may be also be used.
Weight Watchers Gougeres (Cheese Puffs) recipe
Makes 48 servings
4 ounces Gruyere cheese, coarsely grated
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1/4 cup milk
2 large eggs
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F, positioning an oven rack in the lower third of the oven. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
2. In a medium saucepan, combine the 1/4 cup water with the butter, milk, salt, and pepper and bring to a boil over medium heat.
3. Add the flour, stirring with a wooden spoon for about 1 minute (until the mixture becomes dry).
4. Transfer the mixture to a large mixing bowl, add the Gruyere cheese and beat with a hand mixer on medium speed for about 1 minute.
5. Add the 2 large eggs (one at a time), continuing to mix on medium/high speed for 1-2 more minutes (until the dough is shiny and smooth).
6. Spoon the dough into a large resealable plastic bag and seal it shut.
7. Cut a 1/4 inch diagonal slice from one corner of the bag and squeeze the dough through that hole and on the baking sheet into 1 inch rounds, leaving 1 inch space between each gougere.
8. Smooth any peaks they may have by gently rubbing your wet finger over the top of each piped round.
9. Transfer the backing sheet to the oven and bake for about 10 minutes, then rotate the baking sheet and reduce oven temperature to 350 degrees F.
10. Bake for about 15 more minutes (until the gougeres are golden brown).
11. Remove the gougeres from the oven, transfer them to a basket or serving platter and serve immediately.
WW POINTS per serving: 1
Nutritional information per serving: 22 calories, 1.5g fat, 0g fiber
You might also like these bread recipes:
- Weight Watchers Sugarless Dried Fruit Muffins recipe – 4 points
- Weight Watchers Cranberry Orange Muffins recipe – 6 points
- Weight Watchers Moist Banana Bread recipe – 6 points
Tags: 1 point, appetizer, appetizer recipes, bread, bread recipes, calories, cheese, cooking, diet, food, French, French recipes, gougeres, gruyere, Gruyere-cheese, points, recipe, snack, traditional, under 100 calories, Weight Watchers, weightwatchers, ww